DAAD in Ghana
The DAAD is represented in Ghana through the DAAD Information Center in Accra. With a DAAD funded Center of Excellence at the University of Ghana in Legon, a bilateral Government Scholarship PhD Programme, hundreds of Ghanaian DAAD Alumni and annually dozens of DAAD funded scholarship holders, among others, the DAAD facilitates and broadens the academic cooperation between Germany and Ghana and paves ways for a number of MoUs between Ghanaian and German universities.
Scholarships for Ghanaians
In 2015, 402 Ghanaians were funded by the DAAD to either study or do research in Germany or in selected partner universities in Ghana as well as abroad. Additionally, a total of 145 DAAD funded Germans came to Ghana for academic purposes.
Overview of DAAD-funded Ghanaian scholarship holders from 2005 until 2015
In 2010 the Ghanaian government and the DAAD established a scholarship programme, which provides a maximum of 20 candidates every year the opportunity to pursue their PhD in Germany. The candidates are being selected in a three stages bi-national procedure.
For the first intake in 2012 a group of twelve PhD candidates was selected to go to Germany for a research stay. For the current intake in 2017/2018, 25 candidates were awarded.
The Government of Ghana-DAAD scholarship will now afford more Ghanaians the opportunity of pursuing their PhD in Germany. You can make enquiries concerning this scholarship opportunity at the Ghana Scholarship Secretariat or the DAAD Information Center Accra.
African Excellence – Fachzentren zur Eliteförderung
With the establishment of Centres of African Excellence at leading Sub-Saharan African universities, the DAAD is pursuing the goal of creating modern educational capacities with supraregional influence. Improving the educational quality and expanding the research capacity at these world-class hubs will enable the next generation of leaders to acquire a training in line with international standards. The Ghanaian-German Centre for Development Studies and Health Research is based at the University of Ghana, Legon.
The DAAD provides individual scholarships for postgraduate students (Master, PhD). Applications have to be submitted to these Centers only. DAAD does not accept applications sent directly to the head office in Germany. Enquiries have to be addressed to the programme co-ordinators.
- Ghanaian-German Centre for Development Studies at University of Ghana, Legon with University of Bonn , www.isser.edu.gh, www.ug.edu.gh
- Tanzanian-German Centre for Postgraduate Studies in Law, University of Dar es Salaam with University of Bayreuth www.udsm.ac.tz
- Congolese-German Centre for Microfinance, Université Protestante au Congo with Frankfurt School of Finance and Management www.frankfurt-school.de
- Namibian-German Centre for Logistics, Polytechnic of Namibia with University of Applied Sciences Flensburg http://www.centreforlogistics.org/
- South African-German Centre for Development Research and Criminal Justice, University of the Western Cape with Ruhr-University Bochum www.drd-sa.org www.uwc.ac.za
For more information, please visit: www.african-excellence.org
DAAD Staff in Ghana
In Ghana, a DAAD Lecturer - Berit Stoppa - is teaching German at the University of Education / Faculty of Languages Education, Winneba