Study in Germany


Admission Requirements

Language Requirement

  • For programmes fully taught in English, you have to score at least 220 in TOFEL (computer-based) or 6 in IELTS.
  • For programmes fully taught in German, you have to score at least 2 in DSH or 4 in TestDaF.
  • For programmes partly taught in English and German, proof of a certain German level may be required in addition to TOFEL or IELTS. 

*Important: Exact requirements are laid down by each university/programme.

School leavers

Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE)

Obtain Level 3 or above in 4 core subjects

  • Chinese Language;
  • English Language;
  • Mathematics Compulsory Part;
  • Liberal Studies

IN ADDITION: Obtain Level 3 or above in 2 elective subjects

Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (HKALE) in conjunction with Hong Kong Certificate of Education (HKCEE)


  • Obtain Grade E or above in "Use of English" and "Chinese Language and Culture"
  • EITHER Obtain Grade E or above in 2 AL-Subjects OR
    Obtain Grade E or above in 1 AL-Subject and 2 AS-Subjects


  • Proof of at least 7 exam subjects with Mathematics, English (Syllabus B) and Chinese (or another language)
  • Obtain Grade E or above in at least 6 exam subjects
Applicants in Macau

There are 2 options:

  • by showing evidence of Form 6, Senior Middle Three, Grade 12 / Certificate of Senior Secondary Education AND proof of acceptance by a Macao university in the desired field of study, he/she can then apply for a "Studienkolleg" (a preparatory course) in Germany, and take a "Feststellungsprüfung" (a university entrance exam). For more details, please click here.
  • by showing evidence of 1 year of study in the relevant field at a Macau higher education institution, he/she is able to apply to a German university (Year 1) directly.
International Baccalaureate Diploma /Diplôme du Baccalauréat International (IB) 

Click here for more information. 

***if you hold other school leaving certificates, please check Anabin database (in German only) established by the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder (KMK) of the Federal Republic of Germany.

Master Studies

International courses: B.A. holders are eligible to join M.A. postgraduate courses, usually in a related field.

Regular courses: B.A. holders will usually be admitted to the Hauptstudium depending on your grades and the coursework you have done so far. In some cases you might have to take additional courses.