Study in Germany



Do I need a visa?


  • HKSAR Passport
  • Macau SAR Passport holders
  • British Nationals (Overseas) Passport holders


  • Citizens of EU member states, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland
  • Citizens of Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, USA, etc.

For more information, please click here.

HKSAR Passport and Macau SAR Passport holders enjoy 90-day visa-free travel privilege in the European Union. If your study period is longer than 90 days, you need to apply for a visa. Visa for students and researchers are issued by the Consulate-General of Germany, and it usually takes 4-6 weeks to process.

For Student Visa, you should provide items 3-9 in originals as well as 2 photocopies:

1. Two completed application forms
2. 3 recent passport photos that can support biometric checks
3. Passport or travel document, valid for at least 6 months
4. Letter of admission from a German university / Confirmation of language class registration
5. Certificates of school examinations qualifying you to study at a university (or equivalent) in Germany e.g. HKDSE certificate
6. Certificates of university examinations, Student I.D. Card etc. (if applicable)
7. Proof of German language proficiency if course language (even partly) is German
8. Financial proof for your entire period of studies: bank book / bank statements / financial guarantee from parents, supported by appropriate proof or an official sponsorship letter "Verpflichtungserklärung" (please reckon expenses of €720 per month)
9. Employer's leave letter (if applicable)
10. Proof of health insurance: you may purchase a travel insurance with minimum 30,000 medicial coverage for at least the first month of your stay, and print out the insurance policy as the proof)
11. Minor Applicants must present their birth certificates and have the written consent of their parents/legal guardians
12. Certificate of No Criminal Conviction issued by the Hong Kong Police, if you intend to stay in Germany for more than 12 months. (This Consulate General will support your application by issuing a written request to the Hong Kong Police)

*All information above is subject to change, the version stated on the website of the German Consulate General shall prevail.

For further information, please contact:

German Consulate General Hong Kong
21/F, United Centre
95 Queensway, Central
Hong Kong

Tel: +852 2105 8788 | Fax: +852 2865 2033